Refined sugar is in everything. IN EVERYTHING! And it’s just about the worst thing for you. It’s one of the biggest killers in the world. It might not have the calories of fat, but it is even worse. And our problem is that we seem to think it is essential to give us energy. WRONG. If you look at the ingredients of any energy drink or food it has a ton of sugar in it. Talk about defeating the purpose.
Here’s some fact about refined sugar from our friends over at Authority Nutrition.
- Added Sugar Contains No Essential Nutrients and is Bad For Your Teeth
- Added Sugar is High in Fructose, Which Can Overload Your Liver
- Overloading The Liver With Fructose Can Cause Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- The Insulin Resistance Can Progress to Type II Diabetes
- Sugar Can Give You Cancer
- Due to its Effects on Hormones and the Brain, Sugar has Unique Fat-Promoting Effects
- Because it Causes Massive Dopamine Release in The Brain, Sugar is Highly Addictive
- Sugar is a Leading Contributor to Obesity in Both Children and Adults
- It Ain’t The Fat… It’s SUGAR That Raises Your Cholesterol and Gives You Heart Disease
(Go to their website for more details on each of the items and the research behind them)
That just sounds terrifying doesn’t it. I mean this is the stuff that we pump into our bodies like there is no tomorrow. Here’s some more scary information about the British and their eating habits.
Some people even advertise that their product is low fat. Have a look at the ingredients and you will see it’s very high in sugars, which is even worse!
Fortunately there are some great people out there trying to make everyone aware of it (e.g. Dr. Robert Lustig). But they are fighting an uphill battle. The companies that sell it are spending billions on advertising. Refined sugar is cheap. And… well… it tastes good. Really there is only two ways to stop it (or at least control it). Firstly, the government needs to step in. And to an extent they have (I use the term lightly as they haven’t done much), but they need to do a lot more. I suggest writing to your local politician/congressman and asking what they are doing about this problem facing the world.
Secondly you can control it on a personal level (which won’t solve the world’s problems, but at least you will be okay). Here’s some tips:
- Not all sugars are bad. Sugars from fruits etc are good for you (in moderation)
- Try a diet suppressant. This will help stop the cravings you might have.
- Coffee and tea will help you with energy
- Craving sugar is often used as a coping mechanism. Try and replace this with exercise or something else fun.
- Chew gum instead. This helps with the sugar fix.
- Eat good food regularly throughout the day. This stops the cravings.
Well I hope this opened your eyes to Refined Sugar. It is one of the biggest killers in the world, yet ignored.